The Midianite Curse
Parallels the gift of giving
1. And the men of Ephraim said unto him, Why hast thou served us thus, that thou calledst us not, when thou wentest to fight with the Midianites? And they did chide with him sharply.
2. And he said unto them, What have I done now in comparison of you? Is not the gleaning of the grapes of Ephraim better than the vintage of Abiezer?
3. God hath delivered into your hands the princes of Midian, Oreb and Zeeb: and what was I able to do in comparison of you? Then their anger was abated toward him, when he had said that.
4. And Gideon came to Jordan, and passed over, he, and the three hundred men that were with him, faint, yet pursuing them.
5. And he said unto the men of Succoth, Give, I pray you, loaves of bread unto the people that follow me; for they be faint, and I am pursuing after Zebah and Zalmunna, kings of Midian.
6. And the princes of Succoth said, Are the hands of Zebah and Zalmunna now in thine hand, that we should give bread unto thine army?
7. And Gideon said, Therefore when the Lord hath delivered Zebah and Zalmunna into mine hand, then I will tear your flesh with the thorns of the wilderness and with briers.
8. And he went up thence to Penuel, and spake unto them likewise: and the men of Penuel answered him as the men of Succoth had answered him.
9. And he spake also unto the men of Penuel, saying, When I come again in peace, I will break down this tower.
10. Now Zebah and Zalmunna were in Karkor, and their hosts with them, about fifteen thousand men, all that were left of all the hosts of the children of the east: for there fell an hundred and twenty thousand men that drew sword.
11. And Gideon went up by the way of them that dwelt in tents on the east of Nobah and Jogbehah, and smote the host; for the host was secure.
12. And when Zebah and Zalmunna fled, he pursued after them, and took the two kings of Midian, Zebah and Zalmunna, and discomfited all the host.
13. And Gideon the son of Joash returned from battle before the sun was up,
14. And caught a young man of the men of Succoth, and inquired of him: and he described unto him the princes of Succoth, and the elders thereof, even threescore and seventeen men.
15. And he came unto the men of Succoth, and said, Behold Zebah and Zalmunna, with whom ye did upbraid me, saying, Are the hands of Zebah and Zalmunna now in thine hand, that we should give bread unto thy men that are weary?
16. And he took the elders of the city, and thorns of the wilderness and briers, and with them he taught the men of Succoth.
17. And he beat down the tower of Penuel, and slew the men of the city.
18. Then said he unto Zebah and Zalmunna, What manner of men were they whom ye slew at Tabor? And they answered, As thou art, so were they; each one resembled the children of a king.
19. And he said, They were my brethren, even the sons of my mother: as the Lord liveth, if ye had saved them alive, I would not slay you.
20. And he said unto Jether his firstborn, Up, and slay them. But the youth drew not his sword: for he feared, because he was yet a youth.
21. Then Zebah and Zalmunna said, Rise thou, and fall upon us: for as the man is, so is his strength. And Gideon arose, and slew Zebah and Zalmunna, and took away the ornaments that were on their camels' necks.
22. Then the men of Israel said unto Gideon, Rule thou over us, both thou, and thy son, and thy son's son also: for thou hast delivered us from the hand of Midian.
23. And Gideon said unto them, I will not rule over you, neither shall my son rule over you: the Lord shall rule over you.
24. And Gideon said unto them, I would desire a request of you, that ye would give me every man the earrings of his prey. (For they had golden earrings, because they were Ishmaelites.)
25. And they answered, We will willingly give them. And they spread a garment, and did cast therein every man the earrings of his prey.
26. And the weight of the golden earrings that he requested was a thousand and seven hundred shekels of gold; beside ornaments, and collars, and purple raiment that was on the kings of Midian, and beside the chains that were about their camels' necks.
27. And Gideon made an ephod thereof, and put it in his city, even in Ophrah: and all Israel went thither a whoring after it: which thing became a snare unto Gideon, and to his house.
28. Thus was Midian subdued before the children of
29. And Jerubbaal the son of Joash went and dwelt in his own house.
30. And Gideon had threescore and ten sons of his body begotten: for he had many wives.
31. And his concubine that was in Shechem, she also bare him a son, whose name he called Abimelech.
32. And Gideon the son of Joash died in a good old age, and was buried in the sepulchre of Joash his father, in Ophrah of the Abiezrites.
33. And it came to pass, as soon as Gideon was dead, that the children of Israel turned again, and went a whoring after Baalim, and made Baalberith their god.
34. And the children of Israel remembered not the Lord their God, who had delivered them out of the hands of all their enemies on every side:
35. Neither shewed they kindness to the house of Jerubbaal,
namely, Gideon, according to all the goodness which he had shewed
Markers for the Midianite Curse:
1. Seasonal devouring –
The devouring comes in a predictable manner. The pattern can vary but commonly it comes annually.
Certain month of the year, the bottom falls out and you have tremendous financial trouble.
Can be every other year, every 5 years, every 10 years etc
When you see repeated cycles it is the Midianite Curse
2. Inability to get ahead-
When you start to get ahead then trouble comes and devours your finances
About to get out of debt then car breaks down or house needs repair, etc.
The real problem with this curse is the relationship devouring that comes from devouring of finances. Finances are the #1 reason for strained marriages.
If you have this curse most likely you will find that the holidays are cursed.
The Root Cause of this Curse:
People or person has refused to do what God has called them to do and so you see a curse on time. The curse comes at the time of year you were supposed to have the greatest blessing but since you refused to do what God called you to do the enemy stepped in and stole your resources since you rejected your assignment.
“I am legitimate when I can provide the resources for others to possess their birthright”.
Because of the gift of giving and his unique ability to know what and how to give to position someone for success, the giver is prone to the Spirit of Control.
*giving with strings attached*
Christ came in the opposite Spirit:
Yeshua’s entire life was giving. He gave and provided for everyone that called upon his name. Miracles were repeatedly performed to meet the needs of the individual but Yeshua never used that as leverage to get a favor in return. He never used His ability to provide or to meet His own needs first. He gave to others first before He thought of His own needs.
The 5th Miracle in the Gospel of John:
The healing of the man who was blind. Yeshua did part of the work by making the mud and placing it on the man’s eyes. Yeshua did not make the man dependant on Him but instead made the man take ownership for part of the process and go and find the pool of Siloam and wash his own eyes.
The 5th Statement on the cross:
The most de-legitimizing thing for the giver is to be needy and in turn be dependant on someone they do not like or respect. Yeshua did not let that stand in His way. In His thirst He turned to the very people who had nailed Him to the cross and asked for something to drink to meet a physical need.
Who has authority over this curse?
1. Those who want to possess their birthright. Those that have a passion for their birthright where comfort and security are expendable.
2. Those who are willing to risk whatever it takes to possess their birthright.
3. Those who are willing to be dependant on God in the process.
4. A giver who seeks to empower others and does not seek to control them.
Blessing when Curse is broken:
The area or time of year that has always been cursed is the exact area or time when God wanted blessings to flow. So there is tremendous blessing that flows in that month or time frame.
The purpose is to accumulate your resources for working your destiny from generation to generation.
After we reveal each of the seven curses we will give you prayers of renunciation and other ways to break the power of this curse off of you and your family line. If you have any questions or need prayer in this area please email us at: Prayer@AbundantLRCnet
As always if you want to start walking in victory over the enemy and have not made Yeshua (Jesus) the Lord of your life take the time to do it now. None of us are guaranteed another tomorrow but we can make the choice to live for Yeshua today. If the Holy Spirit has been tugging at you please submit to His drawing and enter into salvation now. Click Here
The next Curse #6 will be posted promptly so please come back and visit us soon. May God’s blessing be upon you.
Notes taken from Arthur Burk’s Seven Curses for the complete teaching series please visit www.plumblineministries.com